Surprise! It's a Boy!

May 6, 2012

I bet you never thought that would be the "guess what," right? We've been keeping this whole pregnancy a huge secret from everyone. It's been really fun having a secret that was just between Mike and I. We hadn't even told the girls until the night before we went in for the ultrasound appointment. Kylie was getting increasingly curious about my growing belly even before we told her though. She kept telling me I looked really full, like I had eaten all of my dinner, and poking my belly button.

18 weeks
The morning of the ultrasound, we were all really excited; Mike and I the most. We decided to take the girls to this appointment so they could see the baby and see that it was a real deal. For months I've been asking Kylie "If mommy has another baby, do you think it will be a girl or a boy?" And she would always reply something like, "A baby girl. But Daddy really wants a baby boy, so maybe the next one after that can be a boy..." She had me completely convinced that it was going to be another baby sister and we even had Mike convinced too. He, of course, was hoping for a boy. He is the last of the Kirby's so there was a little added pressure for us to have a boy at some point.

When the ultrasound tech started to do his thing, Mike and I stared intently at the screen while the girls played with puzzles and books in the corner. We kept trying to figure out what all the different shapes and limbs on our baby were. Then finally, the tech stopped on a little baby part that was completely unmistakable. I looked over at Mike and he had the biggest, proud grin on his face and I just threw my hands over my eyes and let out a tiny scream. A BOY????? How do you do a boy?? Mike told Kylie that the baby was going to be a baby brother and without even looking up from her puzzle she exclaimed, "no, it's a girl!" Daddy reassured her that it was a boy. "But I said I wanted a girl..." After the initial 'it's not a sister' shock, she was actually really excited and has been so excited to tell everyone that she's having a baby brother. She even talks to baby brother in my tummy. I'm not sure Emily even knew what was going on at our appointment but when I ask her now where her baby brother is, she points and exclaims "Mommy, tummy!"

(Funny thing about the Kirby boys, Mike's grandpa had 2 girls and then 1 boy... Mike's dad had 2 girls and then 1 boy... and now we have 2 girls and are having a boy.)
The day after our big appointment I went out and bought our first little boy clothes. They are sitting upstairs on my dresser so I can look at them every day. I'm really excited about having a little boy, but I'm nervous too. I know I do girls really well. Let's face it, I'm completely girly with not even an ounce of he-man in me, and my girls are the exact same way. I don't like to play in the dirt or search for bugs, and I don't know how to play with cars and trains. I told Mike that now that's he's got his little boy, he is completely responsible for making him manly, because frankly, I just don't know how to do manly. I really am so excited, even with all this nervousness mixed in. It's going to be a whole new adventure for us. I just can't wait to meet him and snuggle him in his new dinosaur and puppy dog jammies.

. . . . .


You may be wondering why we kept it a secret for so long. Well not only was it fun, but since we were planning our big trip to Disneyland we decided to throw in a little "surprise, we're pregnant!" too. In case you didn't know, my mom tends to freak out about my being pregnant. However, since we have always lived so far away, I have never been able to deliver the news in person and see her reaction (only through video or phone calls). I am so glad we waited because her screams were everything I had hoped for, oh and we got it all on video when we picked them up from the airport last week. (Scroll to the bottom for the video) 
IMG_4048web
We called the rest of our family as soon as we got to the hotel. They were all so excited, especially the men in the family. Score 1 for the boy team. 

Speaking of boys, Baby Boy is kicking the laptop right now as it rests against my belly. I'm sure he's reminding me that it's late and time to get in bed. Mike felt him kick for the first time yesterday. He is such a proud Daddy. It's funny, now that I'm finally able to talk about our baby boy, I don't want to stop. I really can't wait to meet him. I can't wait to experience every new milestone with this new pregnancy. I can't wait to see him again at our next ultrasound. And I especially can't wait to see him with his big sisters. 

. . . . .


(By the way, my mom cries every time she sees us, whether there's a baby or not, so that's what the crying predictions are all about) 



Kayleen  – (May 7, 2012 at 6:04 AM)  

so cute. it makes it so much more wonderful when the grandparents are excited for you. you'll do just fine with a boy. You don't need to teach them to be a boy, it just happens and cars and trains and monster noises will just come to you. Congrats :)

Goings on at the Glenn's  – (May 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM)  

that was awesome! I started bawling too. So happy for you, and for Mimi too.

Katrina  – (May 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM)  

Cute!! :) that's so fun you kept it a surprise for so long! We kept it a surprise with our third till 12 weeks and it was so hard!! :) I can't imagine lasting longer! ;) --looks like it was TOTALLY worth it though! :) congrats again!! (ps...I'm the same way about no he-man in me. It's up to Ryan to make sure our boys are manly too!) :)

HAYHAY  – (May 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM)  

CONGRATS!!! Welcome to the boy club! We're sooooo excited for you guys. That is a juicy, fun secret.

Post a Comment