Quiet Time

October 1, 2011

So remember our naptime dilemma? Well I may have just outsmarted this smart little 3 year old. We’ve already established that Kylie is done taking “naps.” If I say it’s naptime she says she’s not tired and doesn’t need a nap. So we’ve started just doing quiet time. But here’s the thing, for quiet time we do the exact same routine as naptime: I put her into some comfys, tuck her into bed, give her some babies to snuggle with, and a book to read by herself. The lights get turned off and I give her kisses and close the door. Every single day since I started calling it quiet time, Kylie has fallen asleep and gotten her usual full nap. And now, when we finish lunch she’ll sometimes turn to me and say, “Mommy, I’m tired. I think I’m ready for quiet time.”

I guess she just didn’t like being told that she needed to take a nap but if it were her choice she would be much more likely to do it. Either way, I’m glad for her “quiet time” because her little growing busy body needs the extra rest (and let’s be honest, I need quiet time too).

 

lounging balerina

Janelle  – (October 18, 2011 at 11:37 AM)  

We've never heavily structured Julie's schedule, and have always taken our cues from her -- if she needs a nap, she gets one, when she needs it. It's a pain to schedule around, because it's unpredictable, but it's been so good for her. She's working her way out of naps (she still gets about 3-4 a week), but on days when she doesn't have a nap, she'll usually lay on the couch with a movie or TV show, or lay in her bed for 20-30 minutes and just recharge. She does her own quiet time, and it's almost as good as a nap for her. She just needs to re-center.

I hope this keeps working for you for awhile!

Post a Comment