Big Girl Beds in the Big Girl Room

August 3, 2012

So this actually happened a little over a week ago, but the girls are officially sharing a room. It was always kind of the plan when BB comes that Emily was going to get the boot from her room and join Kylie in the big girl's room but we did it on a totally random whim one night and it has gone (moderately) well since. We ordered her big girl bed but it will take 4-6 weeks to get here so in the meantime she's on a mattress on the floor and so far it's working...ish.

The first night our normal bedtime routine took about 3 hours... Oy. They were just too excited to sleep. The second night was a little better, only 2 hours, and I think by about night 4 or 5 we were down to our regular routine. (That one felt like a huge victory). It's pretty cute to here them whisper and giggle at night, but then it usually turns into Kylie yelling down to us, 
"Mooooooomm, Emily's keeping me awake!"

So we've had some talks about what it means to ignore Emily so she can just fall asleep through the singing and non-stop chatter. We're still working on trying to keep Em in her bed after we say goodnight- I'm kind of at a loss with that one since the girls sleep with their door open and she wants to come out to the hall to see what's going on (suggestions welcome...) Hopefully we'll figure that one out soon. 
Their little room is going to look so cute when both beds are in there. I've got some fun plans - thanks to some pretty strong nesting urges :) I bought some big custom frames, we are looking for the perfect bedding and pillows, and I've got some huge prints that I'm getting ready to send off to the printer. Oh, I am excited! And now I can get BB's room started too. Eek! I'm excited!

Janelle  – (September 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM)  

I haven't used it, but I've heard a lot about the "tape method" for getting kids to stay in bed. It'll also probably get better once she actually feels like she's IN a bed, instead of camping out on the floor.

Post a Comment