Labor Day Weekend

September 14, 2010

Before I get started telling you all about our fabulous long weekend and super fun road trip to Kansas City, I need to get something off my chest... I own a mini-van... That's right, I drive a Honda Odyssey and I'm not ashamed to admit it! And you know what? I actually really like it. Our family of four was just not quite fitting into our Altima anymore and we knew we needed a bigger car. Long story short, after a full day and night of  test-driving the Odyssey I was convinced that mini-vans aren't all bad. It's a cute charcoal gray color with leather interior, DVD player and I love the fact that I can walk from the front seat to the back if I need to (and I have needed to many times already). It's definitely a car that's made for families in our stage of life and the fact that Ky can get in and out of the car by herself has made my life a little easier, especially with two little ones. Okay, I think I'm done trying to justify owning a mv... I never thought I'd say this, but I really do like it.

So, since we just bought this new "big car" (as Kylie calls it) we decided we wanted to break it in a little and what better way than with a road trip.We drove up to Kansas City for the weekend and had a blast. On Friday night we just kind of drove around and did a little window shopping. On Saturday morning we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast (If you are ever in KC make sure you stay at the Embassy Suites in Overland Park. Fantastic service, nice rooms, and the best hotel breakfast ever!) Then we headed out to the KC Zoo. Kylie is still very much obsessed with animals so we knew she would love another zoo. Mike and I couldn't get over how perfect the weather was. Not a hint of humidity, cool breeze, sun shining... It was perfect.

If you look very closely you might be able to see Emily in that stroller... I swear she was there! She just slept through the whole thing... One day she'll enjoy all of these adventures we have.

Kylie loved the hotel. I'm going to guess three of the reasons why: 1. It was something new with lots of new things to explore 2. Elevators and 3.Staying up late and sleeping between Mommy and Daddy. She also liked the echo in the bathroom during bath time...

Before heading home on Sunday, we enjoyed some church history sites. We started at Liberty Jail. There was such a sweet spirit there and I'm glad we were able to spend our Sunday in such a historic and sacred place.

Next, we stopped in Independence, MO. They have a great visitors center there that features tons of information about the early church and the pioneers. After we took our tour, we ended up in a little pioneer town that's made just for kids to play. Kylie loved it and Emily loved watching Ky play. It was a pretty fun little set up, especially after having just learned all about the pioneers.



After Independence we headed home. It was a really great weekend! And it was so nice to finally get away, for at least a couple days.

She Loves To Make  – (September 21, 2010 at 6:45 PM)  

How fun! I want to go to those places now. Your family is too adorable!

Post a Comment